Skip to content ↓

Mater Ecclesiae Multi-Academy Trust

Guide us O God, to be the best we can be; In every thought, In every word and every deed.


Mater Ecclesiae Catholic Trust

All the Catholic schools in the Diocese of Lancaster have been invited by our bishop, Rev Paul Swarbrick to consider converting to an academy and join a Catholic Multi Academy Trust (MAT).  

Please see his introductory letter below.   

There  are  three MATs in the diocese (which stretches from Preston to the Scottish Borders). Our MAT will be the Mater Ecclesiae (Mother of the Church) and will eventually be made up of  the 23 Catholic primary and secondary schools in the greater Preston area. Bishop Paul has requested everyone to join one of the MATs by 2026. 

As you are aware, the Governors of our school feel that this is an exciting opportunity and are considering being in Wave 3 of the schools converting to an academy. This process will take place this school year  in readiness for a potential  October 2024 conversion. 

As part of the conversion process the Governors will  consult all school stakeholders,  which includes: 

  • Parents 

  • Staff members 

  • Lancashire County Council 

  • Trade unions 

  • Parish  

The  consultation period commences on 15th January 2024 and finishes on February 9th.

Please see the additional information below for parents (other stakeholders have been contacted directly). This includes a letter outlining the process and a set of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). Please note the FAQs will be updated during the consultation period. 

Any questions or feedback can be sent to  

Following the close of the consultation period the Governing Board of St Mary and St Andrew’s Catholic Primary School will consider all the responses received and make a final decision as to whether they wish to start the academisation conversion process this school year. We will keep stakeholders updated of the Governors' decision and next steps. 

The views of all stakeholders are important to us and will help to inform the final decision which will be made by governors.

If any parent wishes to discuss this further, please email the school office.