St Mary and St Andrew’s was founded in September 1988 with the amalgamation of St Mary’s, Barton and St Andrew’s, Cottam, on the St Mary’s site on Station Lane. Previously the school was known as Newhouse. The two former schools had long histories as village schools serving their respective parishes and the new school was proud to inherit their names.
St Mary & St Andrew’s is ideally situated in a quiet rural environment. The playing fields at the back of the school overlook farmland with views of the Longridge Fells beyond. The school community has grown over the years and as a result the building has changed extensively. Visitors to school are amazed at the size of the building and grounds which are deceptively spacious.
The first phase of the school building, the dining hall, kitchen and staffroom, dates from 1857. This part of the building was modernised and extended in 1958. In 1970, two further classrooms were added. In 1995 a new school hall and offices were built. The Key Stage 2 classrooms were extended and a new ICT and library added to the side of the hall in 2002. The building continues to be well maintained and equipped offering sizeable teaching accommodation.
During the course of this time there have only been four head teachers; Mrs McGrath molded the newly amalgamated school and numbers grew year on year. Mrs Riley took over the running of the school and St Mary and St Andrew’s went from strength to strength; she promoted the values of love, care and respect which remain in school today. In 2009, Mrs Charnley became Head Teacher and continued the tradition of academic excellence, leading the school to an ‘Outstanding’ OFSTED grade in 2011. The Diocese confirmed this grading with their RE inspection in 2012. In 2016 Mrs Cross was promoted from Deputy Head Teacher to Head Teacher. The school continues to be well respected within the parishes and local community, and looks forward to building on its wonderful traditions.